“Who should I hire to market my business?”
As you get into the weeds of marketing your business, you’re going to realize you need an actual marketing team (assuming you’re marketing in-house). Your other employees simply won’t have the time or expertise to market your business, especially on top of performing their actual jobs.
But what does it take to build a successful marketing team? How many people do you have to hire, and what should their roles be? Here’re our thoughts on what it takes to build the Minimum Viable Marketing Team.
You Absolutely Need a Marketing Director
At the very least, you have to hire a Marketing Director. A Marketing Director is someone who knows the fundamentals of marketing and can apply them to your business. This person needs to be able to:
- Understand your brand and users.
- Strategize and execute marketing campaigns.
- Write content, collaborate with creatives, and send communications.
From There, You Have Options
If you don’t want to hire anyone else, you can equip your Marketing Director with a reasonable budget and ask them to outsource creative and digital marketing tasks as needed. But if you want to actually create your own marketing team, these are the next two hires you should bring on:
- A Graphic Designer. A good Graphic Designer will make your brand look good, lend consistency to your deliverables, and capture your audience’s attention. They’ll design everything from internal materials (brand guides, business cards, etc.) to brochures to social media graphics.
- A Digital Marketer. A good Digital Marketer will use various online tools to position your business on search engines and social media. This person needs to know how to use analytics and content management systems to post on your website, conduct social media campaigns, send emails, and create and manage ads.
From there, your marketing team should be able to hit the ground running. Your Marketing Director will strategize, create campaigns, and write content. Your Graphic Designer will incorporate that content into neat, consistently designed deliverables. And your Digital Marketer will handle distributing content online, as well as optimizing your business’s website for SEO and social media.
Of course, there’s a lot more you can do when marketing your business. But if you hire these three people, or at least hire a Marketing Director with a solid budget, you’ll have created a Minimum Viable Marketing Team.
Not ready to hire a whole marketing team? Talk to us about our marketing services – we do much more than the Minimum Viable Marketing Team!